Transcript: 66. Hit and Run | USA

You are listening to: The Evidence Locker.

Our cases have been researched using open source and archive materials. It deals with true crimes and real people. Each episode is produced with the utmost respect to the victims, their families and loved ones. 

On the 16th of January 2000, a nurse was on her way to the Mission St. Joseph’s Hospital in Asheville, North Carolina where she was about to start her shift. As she came up to the hospital, something caught her eye. In the parking lot of Little Pigs BBQ Restaurant on McDowell Street was a car with its headlights on, but no passengers inside. As she went closer to the blue Mazda Protegé, she realised that the car belonged to a former classmate of hers: 18-year-old Zebb Quinn. 

She chased to go to the hospital where Zebb’s mom, Denise worked as a neonatal nurse. Zebb had been missing for two weeks and finding the car could have led his family and investigators to him. Denise left the hospital and raced to Little Pigs to find a strange scene. Yes, she confirmed, the car belonged to Zebb. But something was wrong. The headlights were switched on and the windows were cracked. On the back window was a pair of lips and two exclamation marks drawn with pink lipstick.

Denise called police and investigators were there in no time. Inside the car they found a Labrador-mix puppy. Denise had never seen the dog before and had no idea where it came from. A quick look revealed that the driver’s seat was moved very close to the steering wheel, too close for the 5ft9 Zebb to have been the driver. They also found some empty bottles, a plastic hotel key card and a jacket.

When his car was found, Zebb had been missing for two weeks. On the 2nd of January 2000, Zebb Quinn told his mother that he was going out after his shift at Walmart. He wanted to look at a second hand vehicle that he wanted to buy. After Zebb left work that Sunday night, nobody ever saw him again.

The car was the first vital clue in the mystery. But even though it looked like a treasure trove of evidence, it did not bring investigators any closer in finding Zebb Quinn. The plastic hotel key card could not be linked to any hotel. There were hairs on the jacket that did not belong to Zebb, but without a suspect to match it to, it was useless. Inside were no fingerprints or any other traceable evidence. After checking with all local breeders, animal shelters and pet stores, investigators were also not able to determine where the Labrador puppy had come from. 

They were back to square one in a puzzling investigation that would span across two decades.

>>Intro Music

Zebb Wayne Quinn was born on the 12th of May 1981 in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountain town, Asheville. He was one of two children of Denise Vlahakis and enjoyed spending time with his sister, Brandi. Zebb was smaller than the other kids and he never really fit in or had a best friend. He had an organisational learning disorder and was known to be somewhat naïve. 

He went to T.C. Robertson High School and whenever he had the chance, he went fishing. It gave him peace, somewhere he could be himself, outside the pressures of high school cliques and dramas. He was a quiet guy who kept out of trouble. His mother never worried that he was running around with a bad crowd, as he was centred and reliable.

When Zebb joined his high school’s Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (or ROTC), he finally found something that he loved being a part of. He learnt time management, military customs and courtesies and was encouraged to hone in on leadership skills. He loved the community projects and the physical activity that comes with joining the ROTC. 

After high school, he enrolled at Ashville-Bundcombe Technical Community College. He also took a job at Walmart, on Hendersonville Road, working in the Electronics Department. He enjoyed his job and customers loved him. Even when he was off the clock, he would hang out there and chat with friends and regular patrons. He was so honest, he wouldn’t even let his mum use his discount card. That was Zebb, a straight down the line, a nice guy through and through.

In the time coming up to Y2K, Zebb told a friend at work that he had met a girl and fallen in love. Zebb met Misty Taylor at a Christmas Party. Her blonde curls and warm smile immediately caught his attention. The two became friends, but before long, Zebb became infatuated, he acted like he’d never done before. He would gush to his family and co-workers about their long phone conversations. But things were complicated on Misty’s end… She confessed to Zebb that she had a boyfriend and a child. And she was scared to leave her boyfriend, because he was abusive to her.

Zebb’s family and friends warned him about Misty and her complicated life and suggested he stayed away from her. Zebb was an uncomplicated, straight-forward person and he did not need drama in his life. Zebb listened to what they had to say, but he was so drawn to Misty, he simply couldn’t stay away from her.

One day Zebb showed up at Misty’s house unannounced and was surprised to find her boyfriend, Wesley Smith, there too. He never told anyone exactly what happened, but he did admit to friends at Walmart that he was scared of Wesley.

For New Years’ Eve both Zebb and Misty turned down invitations to parties and stayed home instead. They engaged in a long, flirtatious phone call, despite Zebb’s concerns about Misty’s boyfriend. For two days following New Year’s Eve, Zebb did not hear from Misty and became worried. He called her, but forgot to follow his usual habit of dialing ‘star-67’ to hide his caller identity. They agreed that he would do this, in case her boyfriend was there. But the one time he forgot to do it, Wesley picked up Misty’s phone. Zebb’s grandmother witnessed this call as a wide-eyed Zebb hung up and said: 

“I’m in trouble now, I’m in big trouble now.”

But Zebb did not have much time to dwell on it, as his shift at Walmart was about to start. They were just coming out of the busy holiday period and everyone worked longer shifts. When his mom finished up her shift at the hospital, she paged Zebb and asked if he wanted to join her and her boyfriend for a later dinner, but he didn’t reply. She wasn’t alarmed, because she knew how busy Walmart could get at that time of year. When she arrived home, she sent him another page, saying that she was home, in case he went to the restaurant looking for her. Still, he didn’t reply. 

It was around 9pm when Zebb finished his shift in the electronics department and he had plans to go and look at a second hand Mitsubishi Eclipse that he wanted to buy. A friend from work, Jason Owens, offered to go with him. They met while working together at Wal-Mart and occasionally played pool together. After they clocked out at work that Sunday night, they left the parking lot with Zebb driving his light blue Mazda Protegé and Jason following in his Ford pickup truck.

At 9:14pm, Zebb pulled into the Eblen Citgo service station on Hendersonville Road. Zebb and Jason and were seen on CCTV footage purchasing soft drinks in the store. First Jason went in, followed by Zebb. They purchased their drinks separately and left individually. On the CCTV footage, the headlights are visible and police could confirm the direction in which they left.

Just over an hour later, at 10:30pm, Denise called Walmart and asked to speak to Zebb. She was told that he had clocked out at 9pm. Denise was confused – it was unlike Zebb not to be in touch if his plans had changed. She waited up, paging him every hour or two, with no reply. The night passed and Zebb never came home. This had never happened before. Zebb and his mom had an honest and open relationship – he didn’t need permission from her to go out, nor did he have a curfew. That wasn’t necessary, because Zebb always told her where he was going and he always came home. 

Denise and Zebb’s sister Brandi looked in his room to see if he had packed any belongings, but everything was still there: his clothes, his toothbrush, some cash and his contact lens solution. They decided to give it until lunchtime, but when that came and went with no sign of Zebb, Denise decided it was time to go to the police. 

At 3pm on the afternoon of January 3rd 2000, Denise filed a missing person’s report at her local police station. 

The next day, that is two days after Zebb was last seen, his manager at the Electronics Department in Walmart, Patty King received a call from someone claiming to be Zebb. But it didn’t sound like Zebb, Patty had been his manager for two years. She knew him well and the voice on the other end of the line, was definitely not him. Patty was immediately alarmed, because she knew Denise was looking for Zebb. She kept the person on the line as long as she could. 

The person claiming to be Zebb said that he was sick and that he would not make it into work. Patty asked him straight:

“Who is this?”

The person replied:

“This is Zebb Quinn, I will not be in to work today.”

Patty tried to keep the person on the line and pretended to be confused, saying that he had come through to the wrong department. She asked him where he was scheduled to work that day and the person was not able to answer. After the conversation, Patty was able to dial ‘star 69’ – a method to call back the number who just called you. The call went through to a local Volvo Construction Equipment and Patty knew Zebb was in trouble. 

She immediately called Denise and told her about the bizarre phone call and  Denise reported it to police. At this point Zebb’s co-workers joined the dots and told police about Jason Owens. Owens worked as a night time stock person at Walmart and he also had a part-time job at Volvo. When law enforcement confronted Owens, he admitted he made the call because Zebb had called him asked him to. He never asked Zebb why, but he didn’t need an explanation, he didn’t mind doing his buddy a favour. He assumed he was skipping out on work, because he didn’t feel like going.

Police didn’t buy it. There was also no evidence of Zebb ever calling Owens. They were able to establish that Owens left with Zebb on the night of his disappearance. According to Owens, after the two of them had stopped to buy a soft drink at the Citgo, they continued to drive to an address where Zebb was going to look at a car. 

He said, somewhere before 9:30, as they were in the vicinity of TC Robertson High School, Zebb flashed his headlights, indicating Owens should pull over. Zebb jumped out of his car, and told Owens he received a page and needed to make an urgent phone call. According to Owens, Zebb walked off to find a pay phone, while Owens waited in his car. 10 Minutes later, Zebb returned. His whole mood and demeanour had changed, he was “frantic and told Owens he had to leave immediately. He thanked him for his time, but said he wasn’t going to look at the Eclipse after all. Then Zebb got back into his Mazda, and in a hurry to get going, he rear-ended Owens’ truck. Zebb was completely flustered. He apologised and promised to pay for the damage, and before Owens could say anything, he sped off. This is the last time Owens ever saw Zebb Quinn.

Police took Jason Owen’s statement and then visited the Volvo plant where he worked part-time. His managers told police that on Monday morning the 3rd of January, Owens was late for work. He told his manager that he had been in a motor vehicle accident near the Waffle House on Long Shoals Road in the early hours of the morning. This was NOT the incident with Zebb, but a second accident. 

Owens was treated for a head injury and a cracked rib in the early morning hours, but still managed to make it in to work. Police followed up with medical staff at the ER and they said they were not convinced that Owens’ injuries were caused by a car accident. Owens drove himself to hospital and left by himself when he was discharged. 

Police felt uncomfortable about Jason Owens. They found his story about having two car accidents in less than 12 hours implausible. Also, he did not mention the second accident to police when they first interviewed him about Zebb’s whereabouts. 

Police looked at Owens’ pick-up truck and it did not have more than a couple of dents. It did not look like it had been in two accidents. One of which was so bad, he injured his head and broke some ribs. They also followed up with all patrol cars and could not find any reports of an accident along Long Shoals Road or anywhere near it on the night of the 2nd to the 3rd of January.

Things did not look good for Owens, but he stood by his statement and although police were not convinced, they still did not know what had happened to Zebb.

Investigators managed to track down Zebb’s secret love interest, Misty Taylor. They interviewed her at her grandmother’s house, where she was living with her daughter. Misty claimed that there was nothing between her and Zebb. He was a new friend, more of an acquaintance and she had no idea what could have happened to him.

Police wondered why Misty would downplay her relationship with Zebb. According to Zebb’s family and friends, there was most certainly something brewing between the two of them. So much so that it caused friction between Zebb and his mom, who usually had a great relationship. Denise felt that being involved with Misty, Zebb’s behaviour became strange, like he had lost focus or something. 

Denise told police that Zebb once took the family Jeep without permission to take Misty, her child and a child she was babysitting to the Mall. He also ignored two of his mom’s pages, before responding to a third message. 

Investigators asked Misty about the extended phone call on New Year’s Eve and the fact that she did not speak to Zebb after that. They told her the story that Zebb’s grandmother told them, about him forgetting to dial ‘star-67’ and then being shaken up when he spoke to Wesley. Misty downplayed the whole thing and maintained that Wesley knew there was nothing between her and Zebb.

After speaking to Misty, police went to speak to Wesley Smith at a house where he was doing a painting job. He also denied knowing what had happened to Zebb.

Although investigators felt that Misty and Wesley were both downplaying the importance of Zebb in Misty’s life, they thought it could perhaps be due to the fact that their relationship was a secret and because Wesley had a tendency to be violent towards Misty, it was perhaps understandable that she was cautious to come out with the whole truth.

Besides, the last person to have seen Zebb, Jason Owens, had a lot to answer for. Police ran a background check on him and found that his only run-in with the law was a DUI the previous year. He was born in nearby Leicester to Betsy Linda Owens and no father was cited on his birth certificate. He went to Erwin High School and did odd jobs until he started working at Volvo and Walmart.

Police set out to corroborate Owens’ version of events on the night of Zebb’s disappearance. They confirmed that Zebb did in fact received a page around 9:30. It came from Zebb’s father’s sister, Ina Ustich. Before his disappearance, Zebb had very little contact with his aunt or any of his dad’s family after his parents split up. His Aunt said that she never sent that page, but later on she informed that she thought her home was broken into during the time the page was sent. Nothing was stolen, but some things, like photo frames were moved around. 

At the time the page was sent, Zebb’s aunt was at a friend’s house for dinner. This friend was called Tamra Taylor, Misty’s mother. Misty and her boyfriend, Wesley and their child were also at the dinner. Ina and Tamra Taylor were good friends and they saw each other often, because they were opening a restaurant together.

Police found Ina’s story strange: the break-in with nothing stolen and the call made to Zebb’s pager on that very night, simply didn’t add up. Was she hiding something? Did Misty perhaps sneak out of the dinner to go to Ina’s house where she would be alone so she could page Zebb? 

Police felt that the only person in Zebb’s life that would have enough emotional effect on Zebb to have reacted the way Owens said he did, was Misty. But even so, police were taking Owens’ statement with a grain of salt.

Two week’s after Zebb’s disappearance, there was still no sign of him. That is, until his car showed up at the bizarre scene in the Little Pig’s BBQ parking lot. The location was  significant, because Zebb’s mum, grandmother and sister all worked as neonatal nurses at the hospital around the corner. His mother was convinced the car was parked there on purpose, to make sure they found it. The implication is that the person who left the car there knew Zebb well enough to know where they worked.

The puppy was only three months old and she was adopted by one of the police officers who came to the scene.

The clues from the car brought more questions than answers. The lips drawn on the back window with pink lipstick suggested a love or sexual link. The position of the driver’s seat suggested that a person significantly shorter than Zebb drove the car to where it was left. Could it have been Misty? 

A couple of days after the car was discovered, witnesses came forward and said that they saw the blue Mazda in downtown Asheville and they were able to provide a description of the female driver. When the composite sketch was done, police were shocked to see the strong resemblance of the driver to Misty Taylor.

However, there was no evidence in the car to place Misty or Wesley inside. Police believed there was more than one person involved in Zebb’s disappearance and tried to establish a connection between Jason Owens, Misty Taylor and Wesley Smith. But no matter how hard they tried, they simply could not find anything linking them, other than the fact that they all knew Zebb.

A month after Zebb vanished, police obtained a warrant to take hair, blood and saliva samples from Jason Owens.

Zebb’s mom, Denise knew from early on in the investigation that Zebb had met with foul play. She firmly believed that, if he had left on his own accord, he would have been in contact with his family. She spoke in an interview, saying: 

"We all feel very certain that he was killed that night." 

With no new leads or information, Zebb’s case went cold. His mother and sister never stopped looking for him and if anything of interest came onto their radar, they immediately contacted police. 

In 2002, Owens caught police attention again. He refused to stop at a routine police check point and sped off. Police set off after him and he started shooting at the police car. In the end he drove into a mailbox and his truck flipped. He was drunk at the time. Owens was charged with reckless driving and assault on a police officer, facing four years in prison.

Five years after Zebb’s disappearance, there was still no answer. In 2005 police did a re-enactment of Zebb’s last known movements on the night of his disappearance, hoping it would reignite some interest in the case and perhaps urge witnesses to come forward. But again, nothing of significance came up and they had to go back to the drawing boards.

Asheville Police never lost sight of Jason Owens and in April 2007 they had enough evidence to secure a search warrant on Owens’ property in  Leicester. Although he has been on police radar for many years, it was only after seven years that they officially named him as a person of interest in Zebb Quinn’s, case. A case that had been changed from a missing person’s case, to a homicide. 

Police used ground-piercing radar to search the property for human remains. They partnered with scientists from NecroSearch, a nonprofit organization that specialises in finding hidden graves. he search did not yield enough evidence to charge Owens. 

In 2009 police collected hair, saliva and fingerprint evidence from Misty Taylor to send for further testing, but stated she was not a suspect. Zebb’s disappearance featured on Discovery Channel’s ‘Disappeared’ in 2012 and the case became rather well-known in the true crime community.

It was not until 2015 when a married couple from Leicester disappeared, that police were able to reignite Zebb’s case.

38-year-old Cristie Schoen and her 44-year-old husband, JT Codd had recently moved North Carolina after falling in love with the mountains. Cristie was pregnant with a baby girl they were going to name Skylar, and they felt that the mountains would be the perfect place to raise a family.

It was a big change for the couple who came from Los Angeles, where both worked in the TV and film industry. JT was a grip and Cristie a caterer who had tried her luck in front of the cameras on season 8 of Food Network Star, a stint that tweaked her career from someone cooking for film stars into becoming a celebrity herself.

Although the future looked bright in California, both Cristie and JT yearned for slower pace once their kids were born. They had spent some time in Leicester and knew that was where they belonged. Cristie dreamt of opening a farm-to-table café in Leicester with locally sourced produce. JT was excited about a new project of flipping houses with a friend, George Lycon. 

On Tuesday the 10th of March, JT made plans to meet his friend George for beers the following afternoon. Via text message, they arranged to meet at 5pm the Pizza & Brew on Coxe Avenue in Asheville. But JT was a no-show. George sent a text around 5:15, but JT never replied.

George found it strange that JT never got in touch to say why he stood him up and sent text on Thursday asking if they were OK. The reply came at 12:15pm and was sent from Cristie’s phone, not JT’s. It read:

“Sorry. We both have this stomach flu. Throwing up and such. We both have just been trying to sleep it off.”

George was suspicious, it didn’t sound like Cristie. And why did JT not reply? He wasn’t quite sure what to make of the text.

Meanwhile, Cristie and JT’s family also grew concerned when they were not able to reach either of them. When they failed to show up in Mississippi on the set of a grip-gig JT was booked for, it was obvious something wasn’t quite right. Cristie’s dad Bill Schoen reported them missing on Saturday the 14th of March.

Police visited their home on Hookers Gap Road to conduct a welfare check. Both JT and Cristie’s cars were in the drive, but there was no sign of the couple. Their house was ransacked and it looked like they had been burglarised. Their two dogs were also inside the house, unattended. Cristie’s purse and JT’s wallet was found inside the house, which made police wonder the burglary was staged.

Later on the Sunday evening police received a report of a suspicious person putting items in a dumpster on Donna Drive in Candler. The dumpster was situated in a residential area, in between homes. The items were belonged the Codds, among it was the ID of Cristie Schoen-Codd.  

The witness was able to provide a clear description of the man who dumped the items. Police were familiar with the man. It sounded a whole lot like their main suspect in Zebb Quinn’s case: Jason Owens. 

34-year-old Owens lived on Owens Cove Road, only a mile from the Codd’s home. He lived on a 1.4 acre property in a double-wide trailer. They knew each other, because Owens was doing construction work at the time and helped JT and George renovate properties for resale. Although Owens owned his own construction business, he wasn’t doing too well, making only about $300 a month. Perhaps a good motive to commit a burglary?

Police went straight to Owens’ home to interview him at 01:30 on Monday morning, March 16th. At first he denied having any knowledge about their disappearance. He said that he had stolen from them and dumped some of the items that had no monetary value. Police didn’t buy it and pushed him for the truth. Eventually, Owens buckled under the pressure and revealed the horrific truth of what happened to JT and Cristie.

He told police that JT’s 2008 Dodge Ram had become stuck at a nearby creek and he offered to help. Owens wasn’t supposed to drive, due to a previous conviction, but as they were not on a public road, he thought it should be OK. Owens got into the driver’s seat, while JT and Cristie stood in front of the car to push it backwards. Owens thought he had shifted the gear into reverse, but when he stepped on the accelerator the car leapt forward, driving over both JT and Cristie. 

JT was unresponsive, but Cristie appeared to be all right. According to Owens, he carried her into the house to try and help her, but she passed away on the living room floor. When he went back to the truck, JT was no longer alive. 

Owens panicked. He felt it was a horrible accident, but what scared him more was the fact that he was not supposed to be driving and if he had to report the incident, he would have had to gone back to jail. He then took both their bodies to his trailer where he kept them until he decided how to dispose of their remains. On Thursday the 11th of March, he dismembered both JT and Cristie’s bodies and burnt the body parts in a wood stove.

Police arrested Owens on the spot and searched his property the next night. They found bone fragments in the wood stove. They also confiscated a saw blade, 11 knives, a tow strap, an extension cord as well as debris from the yard.

Police were able to confirm that the last time  JT’s cell phone was used, was on Wednesday the 11th of March. Texts were sent from Cristie’s phone to George Lycan on the 12th and to Cristie’s mom on the 14th, two days after police believed she was killed.

George Lycan was shocked when he heard what had happened. He knew Owens and said that he was a good worker who never caused any trouble. George believed it was Owens that replied to his text on Thursday the 12th of March, saying that his friends had the stomach flu, not Cristie. 

Christie worked on set of Terminator and was loved by everyone who knew her. After her death Arnold Schwarzenegger Tweeted:

“Speechless. Cristie wasn’t just part of the Terminator crew, she brought us together at meals like a family. Thoughts are with her loved ones.”

Knowing that Owens was capable of murder and disposing of human remains, the question had to be asked: did he murder Zebb Quinn? And if so, what did he do with his remains?

Zebb’s mom, Denise Vlahakis, spoke at a press conference. She said:

"Like everyone else in the community, our family is horrified by what has happened... The fact that Jason Owens has been charged with their murders surprises us, yet it doesn’t. Jason was, and still is, a person of interest in the disappearance of my son, Zebb Quinn, on January 2nd, 2000… We want to remind everyone that Jason’s arrest has nothing to do with Zebb’s case, and that as of now, there is no new information concerning Zebb that we are aware of… We would like to ask the public to please not overshadow this couple’s heartbreaking investigation with statements, posts, and questions about Zebb… We acknowledge and appreciate the abundant support we have always received from our friends and community and trust you will all give the Codd/Schoen families the same gift.” 

The search for any possible evidence of Zebb went up in flames before it even started. Five days after Owens’ arrest in connection with the deaths of Cristie and JT Codd, a fire was reported at his property on Owens Cove Road. The fire was ruled to be arson and started in a trailer, about 50 yards away from the main residence, Owens’ double-wide trailer.

A week later, an unnamed relative of Owens came forward with chilling evidence. He told police that in January 2000, Owens dug a pit on his property to dispose of items by burning them. Sometime later, he poured concrete over the eight square feet pit. The relative thought it was strange and asked Owens about it. He said that he was making a fish pond – a project he never completed. After a while Owens filled in the pit with dirt and that was the end of it. 

The relative was able to take police to the spot where Owens’ had dug the pit and pointed out that it was an odd location for a fish pond. One would not have been able to see it from the trailer-home – so why bother at all? Why make a fish pond on a random place of your vast property?

At the end of March, police conducted another search of the property on Owens Cove Road. Cadaver dogs were brought in and students from a criminal justice class at Western Carolina University assisted in fine combing the property. The search yielded several plastic bags containing an unknown white powder. Speculation was that it could have been pulverised lime or mortar mix. Unknown hard fragments (thought to be human bone), fabric and a piece of leather were discovered under a layer of concrete. They were confident that if Owens had discarded of Zebb’s body, they would be able to find it in the evidence collected that day.

Two months later, an area of Bent Creek Experimental Forest was searched in relation with Zebb’s case. Officials refused to discuss the tip that had led them there and wouldn’t tell reporters if Owens had confessed to Zebb’s murder or not. 

On the 27th of April 2017, Robert Jason Owens stood trial for the murders of Cristie Schoen-Codd, JT Codd and their unborn child. Zebb Quinn’s family made sure to be there too, showing support to the Schoen and Codd families. 

Owens admitted to the murders of and plead guilty to dismembering human remains. He said he disposed of the bodies because he feared the police. According to Owens, he suffered from PTSD from being named a suspect in Zebb Quinn’s case. 

The jury found him guilty and he was sentenced to 59 and a half years in prison without the possibility of parole.

Three months later, on the 10th of July 2017, Owens was indicted with first degree murder of Zebb Quinn. Owens showed no emotion but insisted that he was innocent. He said that he did not kill Zebb, but he knew who did. This was not discussed at the indictment hearing, but information surfaced about a letter that Owens had written to a neighbour in 2016. In the letter, he names his uncle as the killer. He said that he had been living in fear of him uncle after he saw what he did in January 2000. The uncle allegedly threatened Owens, so much so, that Owens’ brother took out a restraining order – he was not to come anywhere near Owens Cove Road. Said uncle was not able to shed any light on the accusation, because he died in 2014. 

When Owens was first interviewed about the disappearance of Cristie and JT, he confessed to their murders and told police everything that had happened. Yet, for twenty years he refuses to admit to killing Zebb. Could it be that he was NOT the killer after all?


Owens is still awaiting trial as prosecutors prepare the case against him. Nothing about this case is straight-forward. So many questions remain, especially regarding the bizarre appearance of Zebb’s car two weeks after he vanished. 

There are so many strange turns, like the page Zebb received from his aunt Ina’s house. And how about Misty Taylor and Wesley Smith… Did they know more than they said they did? Was there a link between them and Jason Owens, unknown to investigators?

Time will tell. One can only hope that all is revealed at Owens’ imminent trial. We will keep an eye on this case and keep you posted.

If you’d like to read more about this case, have a look at the resources used for this episode in the show notes. 

Also visit and like our Facebook Page at” to see more about today’s case.

If you like our podcast, please subscribe in Apple Podcast or Stitcher or wherever you get your podcasts. We would also appreciate if you could review the episodes, as it gives us some street cred in the world of podcasting. 

This was The Evidence Locker. Thank you for listening!

©2019 Evidence Locker Podcast

All rights reserved. This podcast or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a podcast review.


As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.